Once upon a time, I made up with a rule for sandwiches: always load them with as many veggies as possible.
Granted, “as many as possible” means different things to different people in my family. To my midwestern husband, it means, a few shreds of lettuce and maybe-just-maybe a slice of tomato. But my kids had the great (mis)fortune of being born into a home that is weird enough to actually have a sandwich rule. So now if they see a plain sandwich, it makes them feel sad. Like, where did all of the sandwiches’ veggie friends go? It’s weird, I know. But it’s what happens to kids when your mom is a dietitian.
Anyway, this veggie sandwich is one of our favorites. In no particular order, this sandwich features:
- Whole grain bread — we’ve recently become fans of Angelic Bakehouse’s “Smart & Good Looking” sprouted 7-grain bread.
- Spinach — dark leafy greens are always a smart choice; spinach is loaded with iron, vitamin K, vitamin A and more
- Cucumber — they’re refreshing and have more anti-inflammatory properties than you’d expect
- Carrots — when I’m lazy, I buy those Bolthouse Farms carrot “chips,” which work perfectly in this sammy and cut back on prep
- Guacamole — hello, healthy fat; a smear of fresh avocado works too
- Hummus — protein and soluble fiber (which helps keeps things regular)
- Black olives — really just salty goodness
This is what it looks like when I make it for me.
When I make it for my kids, I put in a little less spinach. My kids are weird, but not that weird. I also might leave off the olives for my little one who sometimes like them but sometimes hates them. You know how that goes.
What are some of your favorite sandwich stuffings?